Please note that the Japanese names in these posts are written in Japanese order, i.e. Family Name followed by Given Name

Sunday, 6 January 2013

Inter-Collegiate Championships - Final

Final Match, played on Sunday 6th of January:

Match 23:
Waseda University  1 - 2  Nippon Sport Science University
(Attendance: 6,092)

Nittaidai reaffirmed their status as the team to beat in the Inter-Collegiate Championships as they overcame Waseda in fine sunshine in the National Stadium today. Waseda came into the game in excellent form, having swept aside Musashigaoka College in the semi-final two days previously to reach their fifth final in eight years, and retained the same starting eleven. Nittaidai had once again reached the final following a penalty shoot-out against Kibi Koku, and they made one change, with Sato Minami coming into the side having made an impression starting in the final three Challenge League matches.

Nittaidai started the game the brighter, and having found their rhythm took the lead on fourteen minutes. Fujisawa Marin powered forward from defence to make inroads down the left wing and through determination and skill forced her way through the Waseda defence to give first year student Uemura Shoko an easy chance to score.

Nittaidai were suitably elated and just four minutes later had a second, with Uemura expertly scoring past Suzuki having been sent clear by a through ball from Shimada Chiaki. Waseda were struggling to get Omiya and Seguchi into the game and already looked like a beaten team. However, from a corner kick Seguchi picked up the ball and drilled it home to give Waseda hope going into the half-time break.

In the second half Waseda did as much as they could to find a way to equalise, but the Nittaidai defence was well-marshalled and highly experienced and with Yamamoto in goal producing a fine display Nittaidai always looked to have control of the game. In midfield Oguri Mao and captain Shimokawa Saori were as industrious and composed as always and Shimada and Uemura a constant threat up front. Waseda captain Tanimoto Haruna worked hard to bring her side back into the game and was extremely distressed upon the final whistle in this, her final year.

Nittaidai's win extends their record to fifteen wins in twenty-one finals, and they look forward to another year in the Challenge League before defending their title. Waseda look to continue their dominance in the Kanto League before attempting to dethrone their illustrious neighbours.

Waseda started with the same starting eleven from the semi-final
Nittaidai started the final with Sato Minami coming into the side, replacing Yamana Maki
Takashima Ruriko looks to get the ball forward while under pressure from Omiya Reona
Uemura Shoko has the easiest of finishes following superb work by Fujiwara Marin
Four minutes after scoring the first goal, Uemura added the second,
beating the offside trap and calmly slotting home
Yamamoto Arisa had another fine game in goal for Nittaidai
Waseda celebrate Seguchi's goal which gave them a way back into the game
Oguri Mao was again instrumental in midfield, the source of many Nittaidai attacks
Goto Ami clears as Horiguchi Kaori looks to block
Waseda pushed forward in numbers with time running out but were unable
to break down the organised and determined Nittaidai defence
Yamamoto once again catches a cross with Seguchi lurking
The Nittaidai players celebrate with the rest of the club's members following the final whistle
Nittaidai celebrate becoming Inter-Collegiate Champions for the fifteenth time

Waseda University:
Suzuki Nozomi, Ishida Minami, Chiba Kozue, Takagi Hikari, Oshima Marika, Watai Shiori, Tanimoto Haruna (capt), Omiya Reona, Yamamoto Maya, Seguchi Nanami, Yagi Ayaka
Subs: Horiguchi Kaori (Oshima Marika, HT), Shouno Kanako (Yamamoto Maya, 56 mins), Fukuzawa Manami (Watai Shiori, 78 mins)
Unused subs: Mita Isayo, Chiba Minori, Gonno Takako, Ichihara Azusa
Scorers: Seguchi Nanami (39 mins)

Nippon Sport Science University:
Yamamoto Arisa, Yamagata Hisami, Fujisawa Marin, Sakurai Mayuka, Abe Rie, Oguri Mao, Shimokawa Saori (capt), Takashima Ruriko, Shimada Chiaki, Sato Minami, Uemura Shoko
Subs: Goto Ami (Sato Minami, 61 mins), Ishii Chiharu (Takashima Ruriko, 69 mins), Togashi Kaori (Uemura Shoko, 90 mins)
Unused subs: Hiraide Haruka, Yamana Maki, Ito Yukina, Yamaguchi Minami
Scorers: Uemura Shoko (14, 18 mins) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.